Monday, November 24, 2008

Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday rides

So, I rode Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Thursday was the usual hills ride with Gary and Pete. One critical difference is that I borrowed an aluminum/ carbon frame from my friend Gloria. The ride was amazing, because the compact crankset gave me some easy climbing gears, and that combined with a lightweight frame made the hills seem so... cute and little.

Saturday, I was back on my Nishiki, and going to do my typical Saturday 8am tempo ride, but I got a flat on the way to the starting point. It took me 20 minutes to fix, so rationally I should have waited for the 8:30 group, and gone with them. Instead, I decided to solo ride the route and see if I could make up that 20 minutes. So, I stepped on the gas and held onto 21-26 mph and hoped that I'd catch up. I didn't. When I got to the long or short route split and I still hadn't caught the group, I decided to go short and at least ensure that I wasn't the absolute last cyclist to show up at the endpoint. The 8:30 group finally caught me at point N on the map below.


View Larger Map

Sunday's Ride was a disaster. I didn't sleep well saturday night, and was so tired and out of it sunday morning that I forgot to eat breakfast. I was planning to do a 90+ mile mountain ride, again on the borrowed bike. It was foggy and cold at the start of the ride, and I had mis-adjusted the seat and it was killing me. I got as far as the OHV Staging area on 39 before the punishment set in. I'll spare the play-by-play reenactment, but the fun included Vomiting, Diahhrea, Fever, Weakness, and Exhaustion. I left home at 8am, and the sickness hit me at 10. I didn't make it home till 3pm, and then only with an emergency pick-up from my sister. I spent the rest of the day wrapped in a blanket with a bucket close at hand.

Today, I'm feeling weak, but most of the symptoms have subsided. I think that it was either a particularly nasty stomach bug or mild food poisioning from the leftovers that I'd had.