Friday, November 14, 2008

Friday's Ride: Mt. Wilson by Moonlight

Tomorrow I have a very long and hilly ride. I expect ~5000 feet of climbing over the course of 80 miles. Naturally, you don't want to attack a ride like that with stiff and lazy legs, so this evening I went for a warm up ride. Since it was a full moon and a warm night (the low is 60) I decided to take a jaunt up Angeles Crest to get away from the city lights. It was so enjoyable that I kept pushing my destination farther and farther out, until before I knew it I was on top of Mt. Wilson. It was beautiful to have the whole road to myself, bathed in moonlight bright enough that I didn't even need to turn on my headlight. When cars did come by, I could hear them minutes before they got to me, and so I had plenty of time to meander over to the shoulder of the road and set my headlight to 'seizure inducing' so that any car within a mile or two could see me. I took some pictures on my iPhone, but haven't yet downloaded them.

Stay tuned tommorrow for those pictures and the long ride report.

In the meantime here is the route that I took.


View Larger Map