Thursday, February 22, 2007

That was close!

Let me tell you how the office 2007 thing panned out - I got it all set up, found out how to put in solver, data analysis, etc, and discovered that it slowed down the whole computer significantly. the windows splash screen lasted for 5 seconds, and all other programs slowed to a crawl (poor AVG took about a year to complete a scan). I was just starting to get the hang of the odd new interface when I encountered one of those "We're sorry, but Microsoft Excel has encountered an error and needs to close" dialog boxes. I'd hit the usual 'don't send error report', and Excel automatically restarted - only to immediately crash again. After getting tired of this infinite loop, I restarted the computer, and started another project in Word. When I tried to open a default memo template, same behavior! After a few cycles of this, I was seething about my inability to use the only reason for keeping windows around in the first place. Knowing better than to do something rash like wipe the partition, I uninstalled office 2007, went home, and went to bed praying my bad luck would end with the night. It did, and today I successfully put office 2003 back on. Now I hear people talking about upgrading anything - office 2007 or vista - and I shake my head, having learned the hard way what happens when you try to upgrade anything.