Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Splickety - Splat

This morning when I woke up I thought it was raining - The sound coming from outside was unmistakable. As I climbed out of bed and dove into my clothes, I was reminiscing about all the times that as a kid I would get up to the lovely sound of condensing smog. After getting up, having breakfast, and enjoying the splickety splat of the rain outside, I was surprised to walk out the front door and discover that that noise wasn't liquid smog after all - No, it was snow. Now, smoggy people may not realize, but when snow falls, it usually falls silently. This snow was more ambitious than regular snow, though, and managed to make noise. I wasn't sure how it pulled that stunt off until I walked by some bushes (read: stand of waist high twigs) and realized that the watery splickety splat was the snow (more like white sky-sand, actually) smacking into the twigs of the bushes, making them rattle. At least it looks more like winter than it sounds.