Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Possessed.

The computer is possessed.

Not my laptop, but the desktop project computer that I have. Oh, how it frustrates me. I started it up a few days ago, and it was crawling along so slowly that I thought it was broken. I mean, the thing took more than a half hour to start up!

I wanted to get the thing running along decently and then lend it to my aunt and uncle here in Boston. After all, it seems like the perfect thing for them: a one-stop media center computer in a house that has entire walls dedicated to CDs, DVDs, and VHS tapes! All they would need then is a super-duper sized storage system that could handle all that data and keep it safe. I haven't figured out what that system would be, but that's okay. It would take them a while to get to the point where they needed it.

It seemed to perfect a match. Something had to go wrong. After I wiped the computer and re-installed the OS, I discovered that after a restart, the computer sometimes would be unable to find the hard drive. That seemed pretty strange, and made me wonder if the drive is dying, but then other strange things started happening: Sometimes on startup, even if it found the hard drives, it wouldn't find the keyboard. Other times, the computer would reboot itself unexpectedly, even in the middle of a task. Hence, I conclude that it is possessed.

Now, I need to find a magician of things computatorial, and figure out how many chickens I need do sacrifice to get the thing to work properly. Does anyone have any ideas?