Wednesday, August 23, 2006

New Bike, and Spagetti by the Pound

Yesterday was a fun and exciting day. I got to play around on my new bike, generously given to me by my uncle Chris. It is an old 1980's racing bike, and while it doesn't look like much to the untrained eye (no sparkly paint job or speedy look) It does get the job done, and get it done fast. I think that it has to do with the gears, which are set to the 'really fast' end of the spectrum that balances speed vs. power. I say that because any noticeable hill has me either feeling like I'm in a fighter jet, or pulling a semi loaded with bricks. The problem is that I'm entirely unused to road bikes, and mountain bikes have this feature called 'bunny gears' because they are so far towards the power end of the spectrum that if you try to use them for anything less steep than mount everest, your legs fly up and down so fast you look like you're trying to bounce around like a bunny. for road bikes, the bunny gear doesn't exist, so when you're trying to get over anything larger than a speed bump or steeper than a driveway, well, you do the only other thing you can- get off and push. At least, that's what it feels like, because i'm out of shape.

Now, after a day full of playing on the bikes, I built up quite an appetite. I decided to have some spaghetti for dinner, because it is filling, tasty, and easy to cook. So cook it I did- about a pound and a half worth. And eat it i did, with sauce and curry powder on top. Afterwards, feel bad I did. It turns out my stomach can only handle about 3/4 of a pound of spaghetti, and here I was so famished that i went and stuffed twice that down my throat. oops.

note to self: eat slowly enough that you figure out when to stop eating, or your stomach may explode.

I'm glad we got that all cleared up.