Thursday, August 31, 2006

Orientation: Day 2, and Flickr Photos

Announcement: I put up a bunch of photos from china to max out my monthly Flickr uploading quota. They're unorganized now, but hopefully by this weekend that will change.

Orientation:

Today we had a long day doing an Outward Bound program. For those of you that don't know, Outward Bound is a team-building and experiential learning one day camp for adults. Lots of companies send departments out for a day of Outward Bound training, supposedly to help people work better as a team.

I had rather low expectations for the day, because my previous experience with such things is that they tended to reduce to just being games- only rarely and tangentially did they relate to anything that might have to do with teamwork.

This time, however, I did learn something, and was very happy about that. Mostly, what I learned was the need to trust other people's judgement on some things, and that its hard to tell when you have over- or under- planned. It will be interesting to work on over the course of my time here: how much planning actually need be done, and how much can just be left to work itself out? what happens when the plan stops being relevant? and those types of issues. It will be interesting.

Having said that, tomorrow is the first day of classes, and I need to plan ahead by checking out what classes I'll have, and preparing ahead for them. Afterwards I'm sure I'll get a really good night's sleep.