Friday, March 26, 2010

In hindsight, I count 3 bad ideas here.

Yesterday was a groundbreaking day - I got my first club kit (Pasadena Athletic Association, one of the largest teams in the area), and had an adventurous afternoon riding.

See, I was so excited to get out and show off the new kit (Bad Idea - Murphy's Law) that i jumped on the bike first thing, and ended up at the rose bowl an hour early. I gave Alan a call (because, like me, he works a 7-3 schedule and might be around.) He said I should go do our usual hill ride as a warm up "except for Emerald Isle." He cautioned me to take it easy, and I said OK, and immediately forgot the advice, blowing through the warm up in a half-hour. (Bad Idea)

When the bowl did start, it was back to being the hairy-scary ride that I have nightmares about. I saw two near misses in the first lap, and I was jumpy for the whole rest of the ride - as was the pack. Rules of etiquette and safety seemed to have gone out the window, and I was *sure* there would be a nasty crash. I spent a good bit of the ride in the wind where it was safer, and found myself in no-mans-land between a breakaway and the peloton. (Bad Idea) Twice. That never happened before.

Anyway, back to the point: we did 9? laps, and I fell off at the beginning of the final uphill / start of the sprint. The sprint is the scariest part of the entire ride, and I was thoroughly worn down both from the 'warm up' and from being out in the wind so much. Nobody crashed, to my surprise, and we all headed home in safety.

I blame Murphy and his law for the drop- If I hadn't been wearing a new kit, I wouldn't have done the hills for a warm up, or spent so much time in the wind, and I'd have got through OK. However, I built up a nice little chunk of character today.