Thursday, February 04, 2010

Alan's Tuesday Night 'Emerald Isle' Ride

Emerald Isle. 7/10ths of a mile that averages a 16% grade. This is Alan's baby as I know it, and the fact that he can do this regularly (easily?) leaves no doubt in my mind as to why he can go and do the Simi Valley Ride and keep up with the top amateur racers. I started doing this with him (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery) and finally figured I should share the route.

Here's the ride in a nutshell:

The warm-up and initial climb is from the rose bowl (point A) to the top of Flintridge Sacred Heart (point D) via Inverness (Winding section C). Then we descend to the bottom of Emerald Isle (point E), kill ourselves going to the top (point F) and spin and recover along the ridge (to point G). Then a long descent to Linda Vista (point H), and a climb back up to Lida (point I). From Lida Back to the Bowl/ end of the ride is one long descent.


View Larger Map