Thursday, March 25, 2010

Belated: Solvang Century


This year I did the Solvang Century for the first time. I think it was my first time going to Solvang and it was an absolutely gorgeous area. With beautiful green rolling hills and valleys, it can only be described as a bucolic paradise.

I gather that the movie 'Sideways' was filmed in the area, because all the places that we visited that weekend said something to the effect of "as seen in Sideways." I don't really recall much of the film, but I guess I'll have to watch it again for the scenery!

The day of the century was very windy, with strong winds (20 mph) from the Northwest. Around the time we got to Santa Maria and were thinking that the wind should start working for us, it shifted to coming from due NNE, so we didn't get any meaningful help until the very last let of the ride.

Peter was kind enough to post his garmin track so that I could figure out where we went, and Alan took the photos, so that we had something to remember the ride by.