Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Hong Kong, Day 5

So, I've been waiting for it to happen the whole vacation, and it finally did. I locked myself out. After calling all my leads this morning, I had grand plans of going and exploring around and visiting some sights, and doing the tourist thing before heading back to the frozen wastelands (I have to admit, i've completely forgotten that it is winter vacation... it is so warm here in Hong Kong!) Anyhow, since I was going to be doing the touristy thing, i thought I would travel without my trusty backpack.

Somehow, without said trusty backpack, my whole planning went strait to hell. I didn't grab my phone or anything, just a camera and pad of paper and left. I got as far as the elevator to go downstairs before realizing that I'd forgotten something, and to the bottom of the stairs before realizing that it was my key. oops. I asked the security guards at the front if they had a spare key (you never know...) and they said they didn't, and that I should call the management company. I thought that I had better call Cora, the person who put everything together for my stay, and see what she thought.

So I went to the library to get her phone number (i'd even forgotten my notebook where I'd written down that kind of important stuff) and fired off a quick email to her while i looked it up. By the time i'd dug through my email to find a response (and typed out a few quick notes as well) she had replied - someone would be over to drop the key off in 5 minutes. Great. I ran back to the apartment, and when i came in the guard was smiling and holding the key out for me. Hallelujah. And that was my very exciting day.

I'm trying to set up another appointment with Bank of China in Hong Kong before I leave, but that looks like its about it for my in- person leads over here. Everything else seems to be phone calls and emails, which I can do much easier back in the states.