Saturday, January 10, 2009

Montrose Tempo + GMR

As next weekend is the Stagecoach Century, we tried for a 90 mile ride to get me mentally ready. The plan was to add GMR (Glendora Mountain Road) onto our usual 60-ish mile saturday route. That was supposed to give us about 80, to which we were going to add a 5 mile detour for lunch at the end.

Unfortunately, around mile 75, my knee decided to give me shooting pain, and I simultaneously discovered that I had a flat. We stopped to fix the flat and rest the knee, only to discover that my tubes didn't have a long enough valve to poke through my new rims. Since gloria couldn't find the whole in the tube, and i was open to the possibility that I didn't screw down the plug enough after filling the tire that morning, we put the original tube back in and tried to continue. That was a mistake. My knee continued to hurt more and more, and the tire went flat again after about 6 miles. At that point we gave up and turned around for home.

Here's our route:


View Larger Map