Monday, July 10, 2006

Yay! with strings...

So, the room hunt is over! *knock on wood* After the disappointment that I experienced with my first look at a room, I was not particularly enthusiastic about going to view more places today. How different can spare bedrooms be from one another? How could I possibly enjoy one? I was continuing to look at places out of a sense of duty and helplessness at not being sure how to find a better solution, rather than an actual pressing interest.
 
Surprisingly, the place that I went to see this morning was exactly what I was looking for. a little studio with its own bathroom, separate entrance, and garden views, located about a block from campus, at a not-very-outrageous price of $700/month. After looking around a few of the other places, I was sure. That I got three strait yeas in obligatory coin toss that I use in all serious decisions was only the icing on the cake.
 
Now, however, I have a few smaller issues to iron out. 1) where do I park the car? There's no room at the place, and on campus does not allow overnight parking. 2) How do I cook for myself without a kitchen? I am thinking that I may have success with a combination of a hot plate, rice cooker, crock pot, and bread maker. From my experience at Colgate, I know that between the latter three, my usage of the stove was really limited to boiling pots of water for noodles, hard boiled eggs, and the like. And I suspect that a hot plate has the power to boil water. More of the issue is where do I set all this stuff up without burning the room down or making an unsightly mess (remember that I am struggling hard for minimalism and extreme neatness here.)
 
Things to think about, things to think about. I'll get photos eventually.